Tomorrow.io’s weather API gives developers access to accurate and up-to-date weather information, allowing you to enhance your applications with reliable weather information.
Our team has been hard at work over the past couple of months, developing and refining new updates to our weather API to help you better navigate the ever-changing weather landscape and make more informed weather-related decisions.
Learn how these updates can transform the way you approach implementing weather intelligence and climate adaptation for your business or organization below.
Weather API Updates
1. Events Timeline API
We are excited to bring insights on the fly to Tomorrow.io API users via our new Events_Timeline endpoint.
The Events_Timeline is a new endpoint in our Monitoring API Solutions that allow our API customers to see when weather conditions are met for a specific location on-call without pre-creating insights and locations.
Reach out to an account manager to start using this endpoint.
2. Probabilistic Forecasting
Tomorrow.io’s weather API predicts the weather using a method called probabilistic forecasting. Instead of giving just one possible forecast, this method provides a range of potential outcomes with a level of certainty.
Our weather API provides a list of seven different percentiles – 5%, 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 90%, and 95%. These percentiles allow users to paint a picture of the potential scenarios that can occur along with their likelihood of occurrence.
How to Access:
For each field in our Weather Data Layers, you can see if the data layer is supported by Probabilistic Forecasting according to symbol (P) under the Availability column:
- P: + = it’s available for the field
- P: – = it’s not available for the field.
3. Lightning Alerts Available via Webhooks
Using the Tomorrow.io Weather API, you can now send Lightning alerts through our webhooks system.
How to Access:
When an Event is generated for an Insight being monitored with an Alert, the system will trigger a Webhook notification. There are three types of potential trigger events:
- Insight Categories (aka Severe Weather Events): monitor the issuance of weather hazards as reported by national authorities
- Custom Insights: tailor conditions to your exact use case from our collection of >80 data points
- Lightning Strike: get an alert for possible lightning, including cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning strikes. This is a paid API feature.
Once your alerts are configured, make sure to set up proper Alert Listeners on your application side to handle these incoming events.
4. New API Insights Syntax
We’re excited to share a new simple syntax that can be used to create insights with the Tomorrow.io Weather API.
If you were wanting to create a simple insight to check for windspeed > 30 and temperature > 30, you would only have to use the following syntax:
(windSpeed > 30 AND temperature > 30)
How to Access:
An insight can be defined by either:
- Starting from scratch by configuring it with a combination of parameters, operators, and constants that determine if a matching Event is forecasted to occur
- Subscribing to an Insight Category (that encompasses various similar events reported by our sources)
5. Historical Minutely Timeline
We are excited to introduce API users to our most accurate data via an hourly CCL model that presents minute-by-minute data for up to 7 days in the past.
API users have two options for past weather data:
- Free minute-by-minute weather data for up to 24 hours in the past
- Paid minute-by-minute weather data for up to a week in the past
Reach out to an account manager to start using paid minutely data.
6. Low-Level Winds & Temperatures
Tomorrow.io now offers low-level wind and temperature data to API users. This data, currently available for the U.S. and Israel, provides insights on wind speed, wind direction, and temperature at eleven vertical altitudes – from 10 to 300 meters above the ground.
Businesses in the construction, drone, aviation, or energy industries that need wind data at different heights for their operations can greatly benefit. It is available up to 14 days in the future.
What’s Next at Tomorrow.io?
We’re thrilled to showcase the latest enhancements and features to the Tomorrow.io Weather API. We’re committed to providing you with the most accurate and accessible weather information.
Stay tuned for more exciting updates and developments as we continue to innovate and improve our platform to empower you in making informed decisions for your safety, efficiency, and overall success.
Ready to Take These Features for a Test Drive?