Weather is one of the most dangerous roadway variables.
Hazardous conditions account for 25% of all accidents, and one single accident can cost up +$100k—not including injuries/fatalities.
For logistics organizations like trucking companies, accident prevention requires an advanced approach to weather, espeically as winter looms.
While most organizations reactively monitor changing conditions along routes, this doesn’t account for the majority of drivers who don’t take specific routes. As a result, it’s nearly impossible to proactively alert and protect these vehicles…until now.
Meet Tomorrow.io’s Real-Time Weather Monitoring! This transformative feature allows logistics leaders to automatically identify which vehicles face dangerous conditions and and confidently contact drivers at the right time to prevent accidents.
How Weather Impacts Moving Assets
Whether they’re driving box trucks, tractor trailers, or lighter weight delivery vehicles, everyday weather conditions pose serious threats to drivers.
Wind: High winds can decrease visibility distance and cause lane obstructions due to debris, wind-blown snow, etc. For larger trucks, wind gusts can significantly impact vehicle performance, leading to a full loss of control and the potential for the vehicle to blow over.
Precipitation: The majority of weather-related accidents are a result of precipitation from wet pavement (70%) and active rainfall (46%). Unexpected precipitation impacts vehicle traction, driver capabilities, speed limit control, and more.
Fog: Depending on the region, fog can be a common obstacle for logistics drivers. This low-lying cloud formation significantly decreases visibility distance, and as a result, affects driver behavior.
Without the right tools in place, logistics organizations are forced to monitor these conditions manually using disjointed systems, resulting in accidents from:
- Drivers never being contacted about hazardous conditions or not adhere to warnings
- Systems not catching short-lived, pop-up events like storms
Why Real-Time Monitoring is a Game Changer
With Tomorrow.io’s new Real-Time Monitoring, logistics providers can protect drivers from inclement weather in real time by:
- Identifying at-risk vehicles: Easily applying weather insights and severe weather alerts to access automated list of priority drivers across full network of trucks
- Alerting drivers when it matters most: Confidently contacting drivers at the right time to ensure safety, minimize accidents and prevent blowevers
- Staying ahead of quick-changing conditions: Gaining complete situational awareness of granular weather incidents including those with sudden changes in intensity, are extreme or short-lived
- Integrating with existing systems: Seamlessly connecting telematics API & dash cam feeds for hyperlocal weather monitoring combined with real-time driver, truck and load information